Monday 3 December 2012

New York: Top Picks


View from Top of The Rock

Two days in New York is not much time but with a busy schedule, a pair of comfy boots and a warm coat I managed to tick everything off my list and even managed to see a couple of things by day and by night. It’s hard to choose but my top two picks for a visit to New York are:

Top of the Rock

For $25 I took the elevator up 67 floors to the observation deck of the Rockefeller Centre. If you’re afraid of heights don’t look up in the lift, but then again if you’re afraid of heights this probably isn’t the pick for you. The glass walled observation deck gave beautiful views of the city but climbing a couple more flights of stairs to the 70th floor and I was quite literally at the Top of the Rock.

It was one of those beautifully crisp and sunny winter mornings and as I looked out over New York I was completely overwhelmed. Skyscrapers were bursting out of the gridded streets, Central Park cut neatly into the landscape and the Statue of Liberty stood tall in the distance.

Panoramic view from Top of The Rock

Not only does this give the most fantastic views but was a great first stop to orientate myself with the city. Not known for my sense of direction I was pleasantly surprised at just how easy it was to navigate the city and having seen it from above initially really helped in not getting lost!

I wasn’t sure of my evening plans so opted for just a day ticket but next time I visit I’ll pay the extra $13 to get the night time pass so I can see the ‘city that never sleeps’ by night too.

The High Line

The Husdon River from The Highline
The Highline stretches from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District  to West 34th Street, between 10th/11th 30ft above the city. 

Its original purpose was the railway line from the meat packing district but had been unused since the 1960’s. The NYC Park Authority opened it as a walk way in 2009 with plants growing, art sculptures and even wooden sun loungers a long route.

It’s a stunning walk with the Hudson River to the West and the City on the East giving a unique perspective of the city. I loved just looking over the viewing platforms and watching the world go by, oblivious to the spectators above.

View from The Highline

I walked up heading North but if I did it again I’d probably walk the other way – ending up in Chelsea to warm up with a coffee and take a stroll through to Perry Street (the SATC fans will want to stop off here..)

For more sightseeing tips and a comparison of New York and London check out my other New York blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment