Monday 14 May 2012

Traditional Burmese Massage


Clearly signposted from the main street of Nyaungshwe (on the outskirts of Inle Lake) lays Win Nyunt’s Traditional Massage hut.

Greeted with a warm smile from Win Nyunt I was led into the airy wooden room, lined with high mattresses.

Burmese massage is similar to Thai – although not quite so harsh. Win Nyunt lay a thick blanket on my back and legs and proceeded to walk on me, using the wooden beams for support. I could feel the aches and kinks disappear.

A proud father of three Win Nyunt told me about his eldest boy (12) training to be a monk as his youngest, a beautiful 5 year old girl, pered through the curtains. He’s training his son and middle daughter in massage as his mama and grandmamma trained him. It will be his youngest turn when she turns 7 and they can all start working when they are 15/16.



When his son came home with a friend he introduced me (while continuing to massage out the travellers aches and pains.) The boys set up their make-shift DVD player and watched cartoons on the tiny screen. 

As the massage drew to a close his wife came in and asked me if she could give me some medicine. Why not? So she lathered on a mixture of menthol, almond and coconut oil before offering me a cup of tea as I played with the children.

A delightful family business I’d definitely recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment