Monday 24 September 2012

Walter’s Boda Tours of Kampala

Walter
The best way to see Kampala is by motorbike, or Boda Boda as they are called in Kampala. I was lucky enough to have a brilliant boda driver when I lived here; Walter.

Walter was always on call to ferry the muzungos from place to place and over the six months I spent living in Kampala while on a VSO  placement he became a good friend.

As well as working as a boda he also established Walter’sBoda Boda Tours; using his enthusiasm, intelligence and knowledge of the country to drive and guide tourists around the city.

Kampala on Walter's boda at night
Returning to Uganda this year it was fantastic to see how his business has taken off! Walter now has ten boda guys who work for him and they run a range of tours around the city and beyond to Jinja, Entebbe  or even as far as the equator

I’ve been lucky enough to take a few tours with Walter so far. The city tour is my favourite and takes in the sights such as the Gadaffi Mosque, built in 2006 it’s the second largest mosque in Africa. The views from the top are breathtaking, overlooking the whole city and all the hills with Lake Victoria as the backdrop.

View from the Gaddafi Mosque


From the mosque you can see most of the landmarks the tour takes you to such as the Kings Palace, churches and the Baha’i Temple (although as I lived a few minutes’ walk from this we omitted it from my tour..)

Driving to the Gaddafi Mosque

The tours were a great thing to do when friends came to visit – it make sightseeing much easier and Walter as a guide always puts a smile on everyone’s face.

The King's Palace


Rolex for breakfast
Seeing how fantastically his business has taken off over the past year I was keen to do another tour on my return this time. He runs a great tour of the lake..

Unfortunately due to other commitments on my part I wasn’t able to do the full tour but Walter still made sure I saw as much as possible in the limited time.

We had breakfast at his favourite rolex stand. Rolex is a traditional Uganda/Kampala food of eggs with tomato wrapped in a chapatti – I can’t believe I hadn’t had one until now. It was delicious!

Walter at Lake Victoria 
After helping me with a few errands we drove out to the lake past Munyonyo. It was wonderful to see everyone going about their day to day lives, cleaning vehicles, running businesses and fishing for Nile perch and tilapia.

What a feast we had of a huge fresh tilapia barbecued and served with a large helping of chips and salad.

Finishing lunch just as a big storm hit the lake we raced back to town avoiding as much of the rain as possible and getting me back in plenty of time for my flight home.

Lunch of freshly caught tilapia
Next time I visit I’ll make sure I take the full Lake Tour as I would have loved to sail the boat over to the island and explore further.

For anyone heading to Uganda I’d recommend a day or two in Kampala and give Walter a call on +256791880106 to arrange your tour or visit his website.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I have happy memories of being a muzungo in Kampala, although I never did the boda boda tour. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is really neat! Thanks for sharing -- Kampala sounds like a really cool place and exploring it by motorcycle must have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really glad you like it. Kampala is great and I do think one of the best ways to really explore a new place is on the back of a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just read your entire blog and I think you are inspirational. I found the link to your blog on the Unicef website as I have recently become a Children's Champion. How would one go about getting a job like yours? You are living my dream life. I've just booked my first volunteer trip to Borneo and can't wait to get started.

    All the best for your next trip.
    Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your lovely comment Nikki.
    Nice work on the Children's Champions - just keep an eye on the job pages for UNICEF & the other charities if you want to get into the charity sector or try the Third Sector website.
    Lots of luck with your Borneo trip - I'll be there in Jan!
    Take care
    Alyrene

    ReplyDelete